Stein am Rhein
The ruins of the former castle, Tasgetium, whose foundations are still largely visible, can be seen on the left bank of the Rhine, in front of the bridge. The castle was erected as a consequence of the Alemanni invasions shortly before 300 A.D. and was part of a wide-ranging defence setup. Its measurements (88 x 91) can be determined by means of the walls, restored in 1900 and 1911. When the border defence was finally abandoned, is still unknown. As a result an Alemanni settlement was founded inside the walls. An initial building of a church (today's church 12th - 16th century) dates back to the 6th century.
In former times the Roman Bridge led over the upper three Werd islands in the Rhine, and joined the provinces Helvetia in the south with Germania in the north. At low water you can still see the oak piles stumps in the riverbed. Today Werd Island is publicly accessible via a footbridge from the banks of Eschenz. The nearby village museum displays Roman finds and archaeological results of the latest research.
Along the Roman Bridge from Brugg-Windisch (Vindonissa) via Zurzach (Tenedo) to Rottweil (Arae Flaviae), was the Vicus Juliomagus (Schleitheim SH), the first location of this kind north of the Rhine. Up to now only big parts of the Thermals (public baths) in a protective shelter are accessible. Of particular interest is the underground outline of the walls of the hypocaust (Roman heating system) from the oven to the chimney. The visitor to this museum can read up on some finds as well as go on a 20-minute audiotape tour and hear all about Schleitheim's past during the Roman times.
Was this page helpful?